Making Space with a Bookshelf Reading Bench



I mentioned in my first post about how my hubby is very handy and I often put him to work on projects for my classroom.  This is one of my favorite projects he has done for my room, and the most recent.  I absolutely LOVE this bench!  Finding a spot for all of the browsing boxes each year was challenging.  This summer I was looking at classroom setups on Pinterest and found a few things I combined into THIS:


I brought home a few of the book boxes, added a tall book to measure for height, told him how many boxes I wanted it to fit and how tall the cushion would be. We wanted to make sure it wasn't too tall for first graders to sit on. This is what my husband came up with, and it's perfect! He even painted it for me!

My mom is a lot better at sewing than I am, so she helped me make the cushion. She measured and pinned and I sewed. I used an outdoor fabric and added a zipper so that I can wash it when needed.

The maximum number of students per room was supposed to be 18, so I had him make it to perfectly fit 18 boxes.  Well, you guessed it... that rule changed without informing teachers and now I have 19.  That one little box floating around really bothers me.  If only I had known!

The students LOVE laying on it during independent or partner reading.  It's an added option for flexible seating. I like that it has a purpose in holding all of those boxes, which has now freed up space on other shelves.  Win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment