The 2016-17 school year was my second year teaching NGSS Sound and Light Waves in first grade. It was a real struggle trying to find age appropriate resources, especially in Spanish. In my classroom, content is first taught in Spanish and then later in English. I found a few "just right" books when I was looking in 2015. Many of the resources were not available through the public libraries in the area, so I had to take a leap of faith and purchase online. Luckily, I was right on with a few of them!
Here are my honest opinions of a few books I found and used along with a link. Please note that this post does contain affiliate links, but that the reviews are purely my unbiased opinions. My goal is to help you out!
Just right books:
- Light: Shadows, Mirrors and Rainbows (La luz: Sombras, espejos y arco iris) by Natalie M. Rosinsky
- Sound: Loud, Soft, High, and Low (El sonido: Fuerte, suave, alto y bajo) by Natalie M. Rosinsky
- Me and My Shadow (Mi sombra y yo: Un libro sobre la luz) by Buffy Silverman
Better for English only rooms:
The following books are all part of the "Light and Sound Waves Close Up" series by Robin Johnson in English. For my dual language immersion classroom, these books were a little high, but I was able to pull sections from them to read to my students and apply to the lesson of the day. These titles might work well in a classroom where English is the main language of instruction.
- What Are Light Waves? by Robin Johnson
- What Are Shadows and Reflections? by Robin Johnson
- What Are Sound Waves? by Robin Johnson