Practicing Fine Motor Skills with Word Work


My sister, who is a bilingual kindergarten teacher, is always coming up with new product requests.  When she asked me to make pattern block sight word mats in Spanish, I knew it would also be a great resource for my 1st graders. I am always looking for new centers to spice things up, and each year it seems like they need more help with fine motor skills, so this was a win-win.

Because of the size of the letters, it wasn't possible to make the word mats to scale so that students could place the blocks directly on top of the letters.  To help students practice the letters first, I made alphabet mats that are to scale.  Students can place the blocks on top of the alphabet mat to recreate the letter.

 Spanish Pattern Block Alphabet
Spanish Pattern Block Alphabet

It works out well having two kindergarteners at home to test out my resources!  I wasn't sure how the word mats would work for younger students, but they had no problem.  Sometimes they counted out the blocks needed for the letter they were working on and grabbed them all out first and other times they made it one block at a time.

Spanish Pattern Block Sight Words

If you aren't sure whether or not your students will do well with making the words off of the mat, download the freebie here.

No comments:

Post a Comment